With a ticket booked on an AC Volvo 2x2 Himachal Tours Bus for 750Rs from Delhi to Manali I headed off in an auto to catch my 5.30pm bus. Rushing at the last minute as usual I was glad IST (Indian Stretchable Time) came into play with the bus finally turning up at 6.45pm and the 16 hour bus journey began. I was lucky that I had a pleasant man who knew how to keep his hands to himself beside me. I had previously decided to get off the bus at Bhuntur and check out Parvati Valley, otherwise known as Little Tel Aviv, well known for it's very nice views, hash and an influx of Israelis. The bus journey went surprisingly fast despite the tedious Bollywood film "HOUSEFUL" playing on repeat in Hindi and we finally reached Himachal Pradesh.
Heavy rains ensued and the bus came to a halt beside a fast-flowing river amongst some of the largest, most-beautiful mountains I'd ever set eyes on. News spread throughout the bus that there was a large mud-slide ahead and the bus remained at a stand-still for 2 hours with everyone eagerly peaking out of their windows. The bus driver finally decided to brave it and slowly drive right on the edge of the rocky road over-looking the fast=flowing stream and luckily we made it.
Thankfully the rain ceased and we continued to ascend higher into the Himalayas and I noticed every house, no matter how rich or poor, was bursting with flowers. Two hours later the man sitting next to me informed me that we had reached Bhuntur so I got my bags and went off in search of my next bus, the Government Local Himachal Bus to Kasol, All the locals basically cram into this small bus and the 1 1/2 hour bumpy trip costs 45Rs. I managed to get a seat right behind the driver and a friendly 14-yr-old boy from Kasol sat beside me and after he took about 30 photos of us together we finally arrived in Kasol.
Saturday, July 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
cant imagine being on a bus this long julia! Waht adventurtes your having, sounds fantastic. blogging equals good job x
ReplyDelete