With plans to head to North Calcutta Abhijay and I met Opashona for lunch in the afternoon. It was a sunny afternoon and after finishing our thalis when we were just about to leave the skies opened and monsoon rains poured down from the cloud-filled sky. It's rather alarming how quickly monsoon can creep up upon you. Seeking shelter under a large green umbrella the rain did not subside so we made a dash for it and soaked to the skin we hailed a taxi.
In Calcutta I have witnessed the most severe forms of poverty I've encountered in India. Though, along with this these people are some of the friendliest, warmest people I have ever met and they accept things and get on with it with a smile on their face.
When the monsoon rain comes the streets of Calcutta come alive. Children without a stitch of clothing shrieking with delight as they splash each other in mucky, rain water. Families who live under blue tarpaulins which have caved in under the pressure from the volume of rain laughing as they all work together to salvage their rain-soaked belongings and fix the roof above their head. Men peaking out from tiny road-side dhabas sipping chai waiting for the dowpour to cease.
Since coming to India I've come to love the rain as it is a refuge from the intense heat. The wonderful feeling of cold rain falling on your skin when you are so hot you are sweating is something you must experience to appreciate - some people in Bangalore even do a rain dance!!!!
In Calcutta I have witnessed the most severe forms of poverty I've encountered in India. Though, along with this these people are some of the friendliest, warmest people I have ever met and they accept things and get on with it with a smile on their face.
When the monsoon rain comes the streets of Calcutta come alive. Children without a stitch of clothing shrieking with delight as they splash each other in mucky, rain water. Families who live under blue tarpaulins which have caved in under the pressure from the volume of rain laughing as they all work together to salvage their rain-soaked belongings and fix the roof above their head. Men peaking out from tiny road-side dhabas sipping chai waiting for the dowpour to cease.
Since coming to India I've come to love the rain as it is a refuge from the intense heat. The wonderful feeling of cold rain falling on your skin when you are so hot you are sweating is something you must experience to appreciate - some people in Bangalore even do a rain dance!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment