Sunday, October 10, 2010

Celebrating My Birthday In Calcutta

After a relaxed morning/afternoon overdosing on chocolate lava cake and sweet cheese balls I set off to North Calcutta with Abhijay, Opashona, Gorky and Arijit. When we arrived we crossed the train-track and were on the banks of the Ganges, the river my travels had ended up following for the past month.

Downstream, with the large bridge in the background the pleasant water had a few little boats with lanterns inside them that you can take for a few hours.


We decided to take a boat and a man rowed us very, very slowly to the middle of the river. When we got there we released sky lanterns, a gift from Abhijay ordered all the way from Hyderabad. Sky lanterns have some wax inside and when you light this the illuminated material takes off into the sky as you make a wish. When I lit mine it took off very fast and got further and further away until it became a yellow star twinkling in the distance.


When we had all let off our sky lanterns and docked the boat we set off in search of street food and entertainment. The street food in Calcutta is the best I've sampled in the whole of India and I've tried it all.



I had a wonderful birthday and can only hope my next year will be as good as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment